About this policy
This policy explains how we collect and use personal data from and about visitors to our website, event attendees, speakers, exhibitors and sponsors and the press and media.
Our objective is to ensure that you are never surprised by how your personal data has been used by us. You are therefore encouraged to read this policy, which sits alongside our Terms & Conditions.
As we make changes to our website, we may need to update this policy. If we make any important changes that affect your rights and interests, we will make sure we bring this to your attention and explain what this means for you.
If you have any questions in relation to this policy or wish to exercise any of your rights under data protection law, you should email email@example.com [or call us on 08127730686].
Who we are
This website of the TECH UNITE AFRICA is owned and operated by HCI Communications Ltd. (we/us). We are a private limited company registered in Nigeria under company and allied matters act, We are registered at 29 Oritshe Street, Off Awolowo Way, Ikeja.
The data we collect about you
Personal data means any data that identifies or can be used to identify a person. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
Data submitted to HCI Communications Ltd by the data subject:
– Any data that is submitted through web forms or registration forms
– Any data that is collected onsite during our exhibition(s), including personal information and activities
– Any data that is collected by employees when in direct communication with individuals/organisations.
Data collected by automated technologies/services:
– Data used to provide personalised marketing/user experiences during visiting our sites
– Data related to website navigation and usage
– Data from actions made by individuals by responding to direct marketing campaigns
– Data from when an individual opens any emails or follows any links originating from our email communications
– Data gathered from services which use IP address to determine which organisation visitors to our sites originate from.
Data collected from third party sources:
– Data that has been acquired as part of an acquisition or merger
– Public data sources used to supplement or validate our existing data
– Data services / Suppliers used to obtain or supplement our existing databases
– Personal or supplementary information from partners we engage in joint marketing efforts with.
Unless you specifically inform us (or it may be inferred, for example, from your dietary preferences or access requirements), we do not collect any details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data. Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
How your data is collected
The data that you may provide to us will generally be collected when you complete and submit forms on our website or contact us.
The data that we may collect about you may be obtained:
- from third party analytics providers such as Google Analytics
- at an event – in the case of photographs and video recordings, from individuals working for us.
How we use your data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. We will generally rely on one of three legal grounds for using your personal data:
- where we need to perform the contract, we are about to enter into or have entered into with you (see our Terms and Condition)
- where necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party, provided those interests do not override your fundamental rights and interests
- where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal ground for using your personal data, except in relation to sending you marketing by email or text message. You have the right to withdraw your consent to marketing at any time either by contacting us, clicking the unsubscribe link in an email or replying to a text message with the required words notified to you in each text message.
Information we may share
HCI Communications Ltd may share your information with 3rd parties if:
You have consented to the sharing of this information:
-During form submission
-While attending one of our events, in particular when attending theatres and visiting stands
-Data sharing is required for us to fulfil a contractual obligation we have with you / your organisation
-If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation
-You have consented to us sharing your details with carefully selected third parties whose products and services may interest you
-We or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Who we share your data with
We do not sell any personal data for commercial purposes. However, for the purpose of running the event, we will share your personal data:
- with service providers including our hosting provider, email marketing platform provider, online survey provider, analytics providers, lead generation providers
- with event sponsors and/or exhibitors including those listed .If you have consented to having your badge scanned at the event when visiting their exhibition booth or speaking session(s) within the conference rooms.
- with HM Revenue & Customs, the tax authority in the UK who require reporting of our processing activities in certain circumstances
- any third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or assets or third parties we may seek to acquire or merge with (if any change happens to our business, the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this policy)
- if you have consented to us sharing your details with carefully selected third parties whose products and service may interest you.
How we keep your data secure
We have put in place appropriate security measures (for example, access to our website is secured using ‘https’ technology and access to payment card details is encrypted) to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. We also limit access to your personal data to those within our organisation that have a need to access it. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are required to keep your personal data confidential.
How long we keep your data for
We will only keep your personal data for as long as necessary in connection with the purposes we collected it for and to comply with any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. To determine how long we keep your personal data for, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, the purposes for which it was collected and the potential risk of harm from us continuing to keep it.
If you have paid to attend an event, we will retain details of your order for a period of six years from the date of your order for tax purposes.
We will retain personal data relating to email marketing data (see Marketing) until you unsubscribe or your email address has become permanently unavailable.
We will retain the analytical data collected about your use of our website for a period of 25 months before 25 May 2021 and  months on and after 25 May 2021.
We may retain any data that does not identify you indefinitely.
Our email marketing campaigns can track whether you click any of the links contained in our emails. This helps us to understand what the recipients of our emails have found interesting and to personalise the content of emails that we may send to you in the future.
We use tiny invisible images called ‘pixels’ that are contained within emails to enable us to see:
- whether you opened an email
- where in the world the device used to open the email was located (based on your device’s IP address)
- the type of email client used to open the email
- whether you shared the email on any social media platforms
- whether you marked the email as spam
- your overall level of engagement with our email marketing campaigns.
We use this data to improve the format and quality of our email marketing campaigns.
You have the right to withdraw your consent to marketing at any time either by contacting us or clicking the unsubscribe link in any email.
We take precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction through the use of appropriate technical and organisational measures. Certain areas of our websites may be password protected. If you are a user of our websites and have a password, you can help to preserve your privacy by ensuring that you do not share your password with anyone else.
We take steps to regularly validate the personal information we hold to ensure that the information is accurate and, where necessary, up to date. Information that is no longer required for any valid business purpose, and that we are not required to keep pursuant to any applicable law, will be routinely destroyed by secure means.
You have a number of rights in relation to the personal data we hold about you:
- Access: You have the right to request access to and be provided with a copy of the personal data held about you together with certain information about the processing of such personal data to check that are holding it lawfully
- Correction: You have the right to ask us to correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal data held about you
- Deletion: You have the right to ask us to delete or remove any personal data held about you where there is no good reason for us to continue holding it or where you have exercised your right to object
- Restriction: You have the right to ask us tp restrict how we hold your personal data, for example, to confirm its accuracy or our reasons for holding it
- Objection: You have the right to object to our holding of any personal data about you which is based on our legitimate interests or those of a third party based on your particular circumstances. You also have the right to object to our holding your personal data for direct marketing purposes
- Portability: You have the right to receive or request that we transfer a copy of the personal data we hold about you in an electronic format where the basis of our holding such information is your consent or the performance of a contract and the information is processed by automated means
- Complaints: You have the right to complain to the relevant authorities or any other supervisory agencies in relation to how we collect and use your personal data
You will not have to pay any fee to exercise any of the above rights though we may charge a reasonable fee or refuse to comply with your request if any request is clearly unfounded or excessive. Where this is the case, we will let you know.
To protect the confidentiality of your personal data we may ask you to verify your identity before fulfilling any request in relation to your personal data.
If you have any questions about this policy or your personal information, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to Tech Unite Africa Expo Marketing Manager, 29 Oritshe Street, off Awolowo Way, Ikeja or by calling + 2348127730686